Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Chicago Cultural Center Wedding

I received these images last night from the ridiculously talented photographer, and good friend, Kenny from Kenny Nakai Photography. When I first clapped eyes on them, I squealed. I would have swooned, but they were too good to suddenly black out. Normally, I try to take pictures myself at weddings, but 1) I usually forget my camera, 2) bring the camera, but never take it out or 3) Do take photos, but cringe at them later at home. Occasionally, I'll ask the photographers of the brides and get great images, but often times, the images are not that great, or they missed the flowers completely, or are too busy to send them to me, after which, I am forgotten.
Enter Kenny Nakai Photography. Once in awhile, I'll hire a professional to take photos and I always love when I do. I especially enjoyed having Kenny on board because not only is he exceptionally good at his craft, he's so easy and fun to be around. It's extra special because he's also an old friend whose success I am always rooting for.

The wedding was at the stunning Chicago Cultural Center with its awe-inspiring Tiffany dome and fantastic view of Michigan Ave and the Millenium Park. The bride, Annie, is one of the loveliest brides I have worked with in my time as a floral designer. She is a beautiful Chinese girl with a Kentucky home-grown drawl and a love for dogwood branches and clean, modern design. Her colors were dark pink/fuchsia, coffee brown and champagne. A complete joy to work with.






















Cindy Kang of Just The Little Things is my most revered of assistants. Whenever I am lucky enough to have her assisting on an event, I have the luxury of knowing she has my back whether it be in missed details, logistics gone awry, or bad design. When I work with her, she feels more like a co-owner than someone hired to help - and I love that about her! She does beautiful work and so creative. She also argues with me in the nicest way. She's usually busy with her own events, but I was able to secure her for this wedding, which is always a good thing for me.

She told Kenny to take a photo of the reflection of the dome on the spoon, and he nailed it. We made a pact that if he were to win an award for this shot, he would split it with us - or at the least, buy us a fancy dinner. I had nothing to do with it, really, but I thought I should be included since it was my wedding.



A couple rare professional shots of us at work. And a final very unprofessional shot of the three of us after dinner at the The Park Grill. The food there was delicious! Thanks again, Kenny and Cindy, for all your hard work!






3 comments:

  1. wonderful pictures Kenny! I swooned for you.. haha. Grace, can you send these to me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT JOB guys!!!! I totally love this wedding AND photos! I wish I could partake in the fun =(

    ReplyDelete