Thursday, April 30, 2009

Art in Bloom

Went to the Milwaukee Art Museum with a fellow floral designer (Kristen from Kio Kreations) for an exhibition they have over there merging flowers and art. It was March - cold, a bit wet and unbelievably windy, so what better way to spend a dreary day than roaming around an architecturally stunning museum?

Concrete, metal, angles, starkness, clean lines = heaven. I began to imagine it as a possible place of residence and started mentally placing my furniture in certain areas of the museum, daydreaming of soirees and playdates. Like I thought maybe this area could be the skylight to my kitchen. What do you think?

Or what about this area as the main staircase from the playroom to the bedrooms upstairs.


I know I'm delusional. Back to flowers.

There's much more to this piece, but I'm too lazy to post all the pictures. What I walked away from this is a lot of cool mechanics. And that an all-white color palette is so wondefully CLEAN. There's something calming, so zen, about zero color.


I loved how the floral designer reworked it with anthurium, hydranges and fiddlehead ferns to create a floral imitation.


Bamboo and heliconia. Another floral imitation. Or maybe a tropical version of the metal one. Strangely, I thought the floral piece exuded a combative, war-like feel.

Can you see the glass skull? That's what sold me on this one. Where did they even find such a thing?


Best of show for sure. The interpretation was so clear, so layered, so interesting. If you look at the painting and then the piece, I'm sure you'll agree.




Kristen and I enjoyed this one 'cause we felt the piece captured the texture and colors of the painting. I liked how the interpretation wasn't direct, but very nuanced and completely based on physical senses.

Great floral design. Was a bit lost on the connection to the artwork.




Another one where I loved the floral design itself, but could not decipher the connection between it and the artwork. Maybe someone can illuminate it for me?

Nothing to do with flowers, but simply attracted to all that crystal en masse. It was fun to sort through it visually. I also had this perverse desire to shatter it all.

A random art piece. The girl with the camera is not part of it - that's me!


There were forty more floral pieces - all very interesting (or maybe some not), at the least, thought-provoking. Loved the inspiration. Thanks Kristen for the invite! Let's go again next year.

1 comment:

  1. Can I come crash your group next year?! GASP! this is absolutely gorgeous! I didn't even know they had exhibitions like this....and I LOVE the Milwaulkee Art Museum....love their architecture....goodness...so purty!

    ReplyDelete